Reposted from Life of an Educator:
In just a few short weeks new teachers around the world will embark upon an exciting and crazy adventure. This adventure will surely have its fair share of ups and downs. In spite of that, this adventure will allow for countless opportunities to serve and positively impact current and future generations of students. This adventure will be like no other adventure…
Here are 10 pieces of advice I’d like to share with new teachers as they prepare for this adventure:
– Strong student relationships will be your best friend.
– Find time to go observe other teachers.
– Don’t be afraid to say, ‘I don’t know.’
– Treat all students as if they were your students.
– Plan for more and prepare for more than you think you need.
– Don’t be shy to voice your opinion and don’t be shy to speak your mind.
– Look in the mirror before pointing your finger.
– Be aware and be on the look out for ‘that’ group of teachers.
– Say ‘yes’ more often than you say ‘no,’ but don’t be afraid to say no.
– Take responsibility and ownership for sharpening your own saw.